Friday, January 20, 2017

Rescues and Breeders

We have a new precious baby Chameleon, named Skittles!

He is a 4 month old Panther Chameleon. He differs from our precious Camille because this species is from Madagascar (like our popular Roaches) while the Veiled Chameleon is from Yemen. The former is a wetter climate with more colorful surroundings. But just like Camille, Skittles doesn't change color based on what he touches or is in front of. They change based on how they feel and the surrounding conditions. They have happy tones, angry patterns, cold values etc. We are quite excited to get to know him!


Skittles is the first pet since 2012 that I've purchased from a breeder. It is important to me to note this because The Drawing Zoo has allowed me to accomplish my hearts' oldest desire, helping animals in need. I'm committed to being a forever home to as many beasts in need as I can manage. Since 2012 this includes (in no particular order):

Pogo the Bearded Dragon, Camille the Chameleon, Leo, Lisa and Littefoot the turtles, Bowser the tortoise, Angel the Ball Python, Petunia the Milk Snake, Slim Jim the Carpet Python, Gunther, Sam and Miller the Ball Pythons, Jupiter, Smiley, Tucker and Dylan the geckos, Burger the Uromastyx, Sylvester the Hognose Snake, Escher the iguana, and of course my first, Pierce the iguana.

Weighing at the vet
I am and forever will be a voice for the voiceless. But taking in animals in need is hard to say the least. Most of the animals, especially Pierce, were in rough shape when they got here and cost a LOT of money, time, emotional stress and consistency to get them better. It is not for everyone! But other responsible pet owners will need to start out with healthy animals from someone who takes responsibility for the animals.

It is my opinion that responsible breeders are hard to find. Wolf-dogs, dogs, cats, bunnies, lizards etc. There will always be breeders (and pet stores) out there who will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sale. They will also omit information to make a sale. Or even if they prepare you 100%, don't care if they ever see that animal again. Don't care if you "don't have time for it" when you get a new job, don't care if you move and sell it on Craigslist. Some pack as many animals as they can into the bare minimum space, with minimum diet thinking they'll get rich if they sell high volumes. *Cough* puppy mills *cough*
I urge that if you are not like me, putting thousands of dollars and hours into an animal with slim chances, that you spend time looking for a responsible breeder.

And it just so happens I found one. Charm City Glam Chams is a small, home business run by a lovely couple who just can't get enough of chameleons. They don't sell to kids or impulses. You have to show them you already have everything the animal needs. They also want you to make an appointment to learn about the animals and meet "the one" for you. They want you to keep in touch, send pictures etc.

"I think that we are unique breeders in that we do not advertise much online at all. We prefer to build a loyal base of customers who become friends and family to us. It is much more important for us to place an animal with a perfect home that to bring in revenues. This is not a business for me ... it is a passion ... born from a desire to put some beauty into this often not-too-beautiful world. Each one of these babies takes a piece of my heart with him or her when he/she leaves here. As much as I know we need to sell them, it is hard for me to see them leave. They are my kids! I am so happy that Star ... now Skittles ... is staying so close by!" - Barbara, Breeder from Charm City Glam Chams

I spent two hours in their house holding most of their lizards, and a huge parrot. I fell in love with Skittles! I just couldn't stop thinking about him when I went home. So I made a rare decision.
There can be a lot of heated conversations about how to best protect animal rights. Did I have to right this blog and put myself out there? No, but this is a really good opportunity to stand up for pets from a different perspective.

-Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment