Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Unexpected

I've said before that having a pet isn't about committing when things are fun, new and exciting. Having a pet is also about committing when times are hard. Either you get sick, your animal gets hurt or your work schedule changes etc. Sticking with the theme of responsibility and commitment, this post is about our most recent case of "when times are hard".

The insect eaters here get a variety of bugs in their diet: mealworms, wax worms, horn worms, nutri-grubs, dubia roaches, hissing roaches and crickets. The last of which seems to have bitten Camille the Chameleon on the face. I didn't know that's what had happened.

All I knew is that Camille had a dark spot on her head that didn't change color when she did. I texted my vet, who advised me to keep an eye on it but not panic.... which is my usual response.


The dark spot very quickly escalated to a little bump and then into a huge bump!
Her appetite and activity had not changed- which is a big indicator of good health, but I could tell that she was not her "happy" colors as frequently.
See that big bump between her eyes!?!
At our next veterinary appointment, the Doctor said the bump could be :
A) cancer
B) the result of a respiratory infection
C) an infected bug bite

We are all very thankful that Camille is not suffering from cancer nor improper housing and her life is invaluable to us. But it is still important to note that totally innocent, unexpected situations like this cost over $150.00 and a lot of extra maintenance. Twice a day for 3 days I am charged with forcing water and medicine into her drained abscess and giving oral medicine for 10 days. It's a good thing we're prepared for such surprises!

Despite the irritating meds, Camille is SO much happier. She is a happy color all day. On a total side note, I was happy to hear that Camille quadrupled her weight since we adopted her last year. Woo!

April 2017 vs. April 2017
It is important for me to share these events because they could happen to anyone and you don't know it can happen until someone tells you.

-Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment